Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Holiday Brunch Casserole

12 oz. bulk sausage + 3 large links sweet sausage--break up and fry the bulk sausage remove from pan and drain. In same pan fry the whole link sausages. Remove from pan and let cool then slice in about 1/2 inch round pieces.
4 1/2 cups cubed day old bread--I pulled it apart like I do stuffing only make the pieces about the size of a quarter. I used crusts and all.
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
10 eggs, slightly beaten
3 cups whole milk
1 tsp. dry mustard (we did not us this--James said 'I don't think I like that' so we left it out. However, though it is not needed I think it would add more flavor.
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Place bread in a well-buttered 9x13" baking dish. Sprinkle with all sausage then all cheese. Combine remaining ingredients and pour evenly over bread, sausage, and cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake uncovered for about one hour (did mine for 45 mins.). If you put a knife in the center after the 45 mins. and it comes out clean, like when you make custard or pumpkin pie, it should be done. If you find it is getting too brown on top you can tent it with foil. Serves 6
You can also add 1/2 cup mushrooms and/or 1/2 cup peeled chopped tomatoes. I did not use the mushrooms because Chey does not like them and I am not sure I'd like the tomatoes in it for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment